PF PHOTO CONTEST - Dog Day Afternoon (3/1-3/7)

In summary: with a clear background...you can use a slightly wider aperture and still keep the background very blurry.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Dog Day Afternoon

PF Photo Contest has gone to the Dogs! This time, our canine friends will be the main subject of the photos for this contest. Please note that this theme is only on domesticated dogs. It does not include wild dogs, coyotes, wolfs, etc...

Have fun!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a great topic! I'll go take a few now, I hope Greg takes a few of his new dog. :biggrin:

I took this some month(s) ago iirc, but to be honest I'm too lazy to take a new one.

Yeah... well, I admit, one could ask how I consider him a "dog" - he's rather a puppy, but hey...

y35376ii.jpg

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Contest Rules:

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

Zz.

Manday only one photo.

Right, I didn't mean the three smaller ones to take part. ;-)

Oh, sorry, size... I see. Gimme a second...

Last edited:
On a wet and rainy day. :tongue:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8972/pie5ho1.jpg​
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the wildlife preserve today to photograph birds when this beauty came up to me. Luckily, I had my camera out and ready.
2303539872_e278daef37_o.jpg

larkspur said:
I went to the wildlife preserve today to photograph birds when this beauty came up to me. Luckily, I had my camera out and ready.

What a gorgeous Weimaraner...very nice shot.

lisab said:
What a gorgeous Weimaraner...very nice shot.

Thanks Lisa!

_Mayday_ said:

This little dog is adorable! Love the pose you captured.​

larkspur said:

Great picture! Very consistent :tongue2: :wink:

I just love the expression on that dog's face, larkspur.

GeorginaS said:

Yeah, too bad everything but the nose is out of focus...should have used f/8.:cry:

larkspur said:
Yeah, too bad everything but the nose is out of focus...should have used f/8.:cry:

How do you determine what f-stop to use? Is it complicated?

GeorginaS said:

I know; it's great!

Imagine a cop...a really good cop, who has about 20 years on the job...he's moonlighting as a security guard at an industrial park...he hears a disturbance, goes to check it out...and he comes across a couple of 11-year-old skateboarders...

That's what that expression looks like to me!

Cyrus said:
How do you determine what f-stop to use? Is it complicated?
Depends on the light available and what background effect you want. When I shoot birds I want a very blurry background so it is not distracting. That means a wide open aperture(the smallest f/#) or close to it. When you have an object like this dog whose nose sticks out far beyond the eyes you want to increase the area that is in focus by stopping down or closing the aperture some.

Nice shot, Larkspur. Two of our neighbors (2 households that is) got a Weimaraner each. They are neat dogs. So smooth. Give me a sec and I'll upload a pic of one of our dogs. He is now dead because some dumbass SOB ran him over, but he did get out so it was partly his fault. Really debated between the one I am posting and the one I wanted to with him and our pot belly pig playing together.

binzing said:
Nice shot, Larkspur. Two of our neighbors (2 households that is) got a Weimaraner each. They are neat dogs. So smooth. Give me a sec and I'll upload a pic of one of our dogs. He is now dead because some dumbass SOB ran him over, but he did get out so it was partly his fault. Really debated between the one I am posting and the one I wanted to with him and our pot belly pig playing together.

I want to see the pic with him playing with a pot belly pig. :biggrin:

If I can get Imageshack to work at all (it did last night) I'll put it in the caption competition thread.

larkspur said:

That's a very nice shot, larkspur. I also like the different coloured "layers" in the background.

binzing said:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3435/ernie1bn0.jpg
By goetzinger

Here we go. His name was Ernie. He was a really cool dog with huge personality. Picture is basic, no real composition, its actually a crop, but I think it looks good.

Awww he looks like a sweetie. I love the shot you have with the pig! That pig's tail is sticking straight out! So cute!

neutrino said:
That's a very nice shot, larkspur. I also like the different coloured "layers" in the background.
Thanks nutrino!:smile:

Vader-1.jpg

A picture of Zoie from late last Spring.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8344/spring026mc7.jpg

The goggles protect her from bugs smacking her in the eyes at 45 - 70 mph (plus, they look pretty cool). Almost that time of year, again. I had the top and doors off for the first time yesterday. It's snowing today.

BobG that is very cute! Doesn't she get mad when you put those on her? My dogs would be so mad at me!

Thanks larkspur. Darn, I should have done this pic of my Dad's dog Foxy. But now that I have Imageshack working a bit better, I'll be posting more of my photos.

scorpa said:
BobG that is very cute! Doesn't she get mad when you put those on her? My dogs would be so mad at me!

She'll eventually pull them off if I leave them on for a long time. If I only make her wear them while we're actually driving on the road then they work pretty well.

Lil Gus, named for Gus Gus in Cinderella. He's a Pomeranian mix I think.

IMG_3423.jpg

I'm still learning just how to link photos from imageshack, so bear with me here...

This is Maxwell. He's a rescue dog, who spent his first who-knows-how-many years tied to a tree. When we first took him in as a foster family, he would burrow under furniture and tremble - he'd never been indoors before.

He struggles with very low self-esteem. You've heard of the alpha dog...well, Maxwell is the omega dog!

He's sweet, though.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/843/maxwellwf4.jpg

0TheSwerve0 said:
Lil Gus, named for Gus Gus in Cinderella. He's a Pomeranian mix I think.

IMG_3423.jpg

CUTIE!

scorpa said:
Vader-1.jpg

Such a majestic looking dog Scorpa. Beautiful!

lisab said:
I'm still learning just how to link photos from imageshack, so bear with me here...

This is Maxwell. He's a rescue dog, who spent his first who-knows-how-many years tied to a tree. When we first took him in as a foster family, he would burrow under furniture and tremble - he'd never been indoors before.

He struggles with very low self-esteem. You've heard of the alpha dog...well, Maxwell is the omega dog!

He's sweet, though.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/843/maxwellwf4.jpg
[/URL]

Nice dog!

I got mine from the humane society. I'm pretty sure she spent a lot of time around people, though. Either that or she's just incredibly smart. She's seems too responsive and picks up on anything you train her too quickly to have been ignored. Plus, she loved to play fetch and knew to bring the ball back. The form the previous owners filled out said they were giving her up because allergies (theirs) and it could be true since everything else on the form was accurate.

larkspur said:
Such a majestic looking dog Scorpa. Beautiful!

Thanks we got him as a puppy and now he is about 5 years old. He is a purebred Belgian Tervuran, a type of Belgian Sheepdog. I love him to bits, and miss him now that I don't live at home anymore.

_Mayday_ said:

Please note that you have submitted two pictures for this contest. Since this is your first entry to this contest, you are given a chance to tell me which of the pictures you wish to enter. However, in the future, your entries would be disqualified.

Zz.​